Located at about 39 km west from Ghazipur, & 37 km from Varanasi, on the bank of River Ganges, in Ghazipur district, U.P., India
How to reach
Can be accessed from Varanasi via Varanasi-Ghazipur road
Aunihar Junction is well connected to other parts of the state
Babatpur Airport (Varanasi) 57 km
The town Saidpur, named after Saiyid Shah, is one of the most important archaeological sites in the district. Saidpur and its adjoining area has a belt having a collection of mounds. Thus, it is the place of great antiquity. Famous Chinese traveler Hiuen-Tsang in his travel accounts has described a place called Chen-Chu, which is perhaps the same as Saidpur.
Places to see:
Early Hindu & Buddha remains have been discovered in the town & its vicinity. There are two Muslim Dargahs (Mausoleums) in the city which possibly were Chaityas attached to a Buddhist Monastery. These Dargahs belong to Sheikh Saman Shah (died in 1595) and one Makdum Shah. Every year in the month of Chaitra (Hindu month), a large Urs (fair) is held in the commemoration of Sheikh Saman Shah. Stones from early Buddha & Hindu structure were liberally utilized in the construction of many tombs & other buildings of Muslim period existing here.
Bhitari is the place of great antiquity and archaeological relevance. Probably this place has its roots in Buddha Period but gained great significance during Gupta Period. It stands on almost rectangular mound raised on each corner thus giving the impression of a fort. In 1863, during the excavations of several mounds of this area, broken potteries were discovered. The mound bricks are extensively exploited for building materials. The most significant relic of Gupta Period is a monolith of red stone within the fort enclosure. It is a bell shaped pillar, like many Ashoka pillars, having the inscription of 19 lines, referring Skand Gupta & Kumar Gupta of Gupta Dynasty. Kumar Gupta’s name can be seen inscribed on many bricks recovered from this site. During the excavations from time to time many articles (oval silver plate, Gupta coins, a seal giving the genealogy of nine generations of Gupta rulers) of significance have been recovered from the site which correlate this place with Gupta Period.