About 3 km from Cantt. railway station, Varanasi, U.P., India. The Gurudwara is located in Nichibagh area near Aas Bhairon
4am-10pm, opens all days
Throughout the year, especially during Prakash UtsavHow to reach
Hire a cycle rickshaw/auto rickshaw/taxi from any part of the city
Gurudwara Badi Sangat Sri Guru Teg Bahadur/Gurudwara Tapasthal is the oldest and most important Gurudwara of Varanasi. It has been built to commemorate the memory of the stay of Guru Teg Bahadur. Guru Govind Singh also visited this site in 1670, on his way from Patna to Punjab. Its earlier building was constructed by Maharaja Narinder Singh of Patiala in 1854 & was again reconstructed and converted into a three storey building in 1950. The sanctum is at one end of a spacious rectangular hall on the ground floor. Within the congregation hall, there are two more shrines- a small room called ‘Tap Asthan’ & a narrow well called ‘Baoli Charan Ganga’. There are 17 Hukumnamas (Guru’s letters), a pair of shoes and two Cholas belonging to Guru Teg Bahadur, a pair of shoes belonging to Guru Govind Sahib, which are also kept here. It is believed that Guru Nanak Sahib also visited this site.