Mirzapur General Information
In the south central part of the Eastern U.P. on the right bank of Ganges in the District of Mirzapur, U.P., India
Oct-March, during different festivals (see fairs & festivals)
Hindi & English
22°-40° Celsius in Summer, 12°-33° Celsius in Winter
Hand knotted Carpets & Rings,Blue Potteries, toys of Chunar stone, Sculptures & Brassware
Cycle rickshaw/auto rickshaw/taxi
Fairs & Festivals
Magh Mela (Jan.-Feb.), Ardh Kumbh (every sixth year), Kumbh Mela (every 12th year), Dusheshra (Sep.-Oct.), Water Sports festival (Feb.)
How to reach
Connected to Varanasi via Chunar & to Rewa (M.P.) by NH-7, with Jaunpur & Robertsganj via SH-5, with Allahabad via SH-44. Frequent bus services from Allahabad & Varanasi. It is important nodal point in Eastern U.P.
Mirzapur Railway Station-all Mail/Express trains stop here. NR traverses through Mirzapur & Vindhyachal (touches the southern boundary of the town), connecting town with Mughalsarai & Allahabad. NER Branch line also passes through the northern side of Mirzapur, across Ganges, between Allahabad-Varanasi. Chilh Railway Station is just less than one km from Mirzapur.
Babatpur-Varanasi 102 km, Bamrauli-Allahabad 104 km
Mirzapur City is the district Headquarter of the district of the same name since 1861 and Municipal Board, which came into existence in 1867, is comprised of two towns Mirzapur & Vindhyachal (including Kantit). Being the district headquarter it has attracted development activities of all sorts. Situated on the right bank of river Ganges, Mirzapur town came into existence in 17th century. The city enjoys the contact point location between two physical regions- the Vindhyan Plateau & the Ganges Plain. The town is situated on one of the large river bends of Ganges with solid high ground on which the entire town seems to exist and spreading in east-westward direction along the lines of thoroughfare and parallel to the river. Mirzapur city is surrounded by a great deal of natural beauty spots, such as hillocks, rivers, waterfalls & wildlife. Many important temples & shrines of historical and religious importance are situated in its vicinity. Smooth topography, navigability and nodality are the main factors for its establishment as trade centre and development of carpet and other cottage industries. In the 18th century the whole region was one of the granted territories of Nawab of Awadh, perhaps during the time of Balwant Singh, the Raja of Benaras who acquired the whole Mirzapur except the fort of Chunar in 1750, the Mirzapur town started flourishing as a large Urban Centre. The earliest mention of the city can be seen in the writings of Tieffenthaler (1760-1770), in which Mirzapur has been mentioned as a great mart. In the Jonathan Duncan’s (who was the resident at Varanasi during 1787-1795) record, Mirzapur town has been frequently mentioned as an important trade centre even before 1775. This was an important & prosperous Commercial trade centre till 1894. When East Indian Railway was introduced, then business from here shifted to other towns like Varanasi & Allahabad and Mirzapur as commercial centre began to slide from which it could never recover.
Along the riverfront there are many Ghats & temples in Mirzapur. Great number of people comes to Ghats for bathing, worshipping & boat riding. Many fairs are also held here throughout the year.
Ceramic blue potteries of Chunar & toys, stone sculptures, brass, German silver & copper ware, hand knotted woolen carpets & rugs, hand carved wooden toys painted in flashy colours are specialty of Mirzapur & its surrounding region.
Mirzapur area has contributed a lot to the traditions of Indian Classical music specially Kajali & Birha.