Lal Darwaja Mosque
Located on the north-western part of the city in Lal Darwaja locality, at a distance of about 3 km from Railway Station in Jaunpur city, U.P., India
Religious, Historical & Architectural
Throughout the year, Oct-March is preferableHow to reach
Take cycle rickshaw from any part of the city
Bibi Raje, the queen of Sultan Mohammad Shah Sharqi- a ruler of Sharqi dynasty, built this mosque in 1450. The mosque was constructed to serve as a private mosque to the queen. She also established a religious school in the surrounding area of Lal Darwaja to provide religious education to the local Muslims. The madarsa (School) was named Jamia Hussainia and it exists here till date. It is called Lal (Red) Darwaja Mosque, because the gate of the mosque was painted in red colour from the beginning. A few years ago the central portal has been painted in toothpaste pink colour by Hussainia Madarsa. The mosque structurally is a bit different than the other mosque with conventional architecture. Single pro-pylon exists in the mosque. The ladies compartment with screen work is situated in the transepts and not at far ends (as in conventional mosque). A single dome hovers over the nave; cloisters are two aisles deep and only single storey high.