Jaunpur Fort Shahi Fort (Kerarkot)
About 1 km from Bus Stand, on Fort Road, in Jaunpur city, U.P., India
March-Sept. 7am-5:30pm, April-Oct. 8am-5:30pm
Throughout the year, Oct-March is preferable
Religious, Historical, Archaeological
Rs. 5/person, Rs. 20 for video CameraHow to reach
Take a cycle rickshaw from any part of the city
The fort is situated towards the east of the northern end of the bridge and was built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1360. Later Sharqies further strengthened its fortification and added royal edifices. The fort is represented now by the eastern gateway only which was built by Emperor Akbar in 1567. The main entrance of the fort is actually south-east facing and approached by a steep passage cut through the artificial mounds. Eastern gate is in the shape of flanking bastions. Munim Khan built an out court of bricks with five gateways of stone for the defense purposes. The layout of the fort is in the form of irregular quadrangle, enclosed by stone walls. The great part of the fort structure is below the present level of the ground except the two buildings. One is a Turkish bath, built during the regime of Ibrahim Shah Sharqi. The other is a mosque (130 feet long & 22 feet wide) built by Ibrahim Naib Barak, the brother of Feroz Shah Tughlaq in 1377. The mosque is erected on Hindu pillars of various shapes. Panoramic view of the city & Gomti River can be seen from the Baradari of the Fort.