Char Angul Mosque (Khalis Mukhlis Mosque)
Located in Pandariba locality of Jaunpur city at a distance of 2.5 km from Railway Station, U.P., India
Religious, Historical & Architectural
Throughout the year, best during Oct.-MarchHow to reach
Take cycle rickshaw from any part of the city
The mosque was constructed during the reign of Ibrahim Shah Sharqi (King of Sharqi dynasty) in 1417, by Malik Khalis & Malik Mukhlis- brothers of Ibrahim Sharqi, as a tribute to the contemporary Sufi saint Shekh Usman Shiraji. This mosque is smaller than the other mosque of Jaunpur city, in terms of dimension & form. This is clearly evident from the pylon and both internal as well as the external decoration of the mosque. The main portion of the mosque reflects great deal of opulence with the big central dome, flanked by smaller domes on either side. Presently there are no minarets in the mosque. The ceiling of the building rests on the 10 strong pillars of 30 feet height. The main entrance of the mosque is through a 64 feet wide gate. Wave of destruction set up by Sikander Lodi in Jaunpur, after defeating Hussain Shah Sharqi, also affected this mosque. The mosque is also known as ‘Char Angul Mosque’ (four finger mosque). A strange feature of the mosque is the stone whatever dimension one measure in length equals to the breadth of the four fingers.