Badi Mosque Jama Mosque
Located at a distance of about 1.5 km from Railway Station on Shahganj Road, old Market, Umarkhan locality of Jaunpur city, U.P., India
Religious, Historical & Architectural
Throughout the year, best during Oct-March, special days-Friday, during Id-ul-fitr, Id-ul-zuhaHow to reach
Take cycle rickshaw from any part of the city
Badi Masjid, Also known as Jama Mosque, has been built by Husain Shah Sharqi, the last ruler of Sharqi dynasty in 1470. It is the largest structure (329 feet x 307 feet) among all the great structures of medieval period that grace the city. It bears a great deal of resemblance with the mosques of Delhi, built during the regime of Firoz Shah Tughlaq. The mosque is built on 6 feet high raised platform and lofty domed portals in the middle of cloisters. The entrance (double arched pylon shaped gate) is approached by the flight of 27 steps. The main portal lies in the focal point of the facade, which stands about 26mts. in height and measures 24mts. at the base. The interior courtyard is squarish in dimension (66 x 64.5 mts) and is used for prayer. In the middle of the each side of the courtyard, is the large gateway. The eastern gateway is in ruined state (destroyed by Sikandar Lodi). The cloisters are two storeys high and are only two aisles in depth. There is only one pro-pylon in the middle of sanctuary facade. There are five compartments in the prayer hall. The central hall on either side is flanked by a two storied transept. The upper part of the transept has screen which was probably used as ladies gallery. The building shows a great deal of screen work & carving which is the testimony of great craftsmanship during the reign of Sharqi dynasty.